Dr. Henry Steinberger, of Madison, Wisconsin, is a long-time, trusted advisor and facilitator for SMART. His extensive educational credentials and background have been invaluable in shaping SMART Recovery into the organization it is today.
In this podcast, Henry talks about:
- Working with Dr. Albert Ellis
- The fork in the road with Jack Trimpy
- The psychology of understanding why people “are so messed up”
- Discovering SMART and serving on the Board of Directors
- Contributing to the SMART Recovery Handbook
- The seven therapeutic lifestyle changes
- The Japanese concept of Shinrin-Yoku (translated as Forest bathing)
- Using CRAFT and the SMART Family & Friends Handbook
- Meeting people where they are and varying degrees of religiosity
- Rebuilding the trust bank
- Incorporating the SMART Facilitator Training for Professionals into your practice
- His definition of Life Beyond Addiction
- Being present is part of being in love, romance, and intimacy
- The DISARM Method
- Making Marriage Work with Dr. John Gottman
- Get Your Loved One Sober by Robert Myers and Brenda Wolfe
PLEASE NOTE BEFORE YOU COMMENT:
SMART Recovery welcomes comments on our blog posts—we enjoy hearing from you! In the interest of maintaining a respectful and safe community atmosphere, we ask that you adhere to the following guidelines when making or responding to others’ comments, regardless of your point of view. Thank you.
- Be kind in tone and intent.
- Be respectful in how you respond to opinions that are different than your own.
- Be brief and limit your comment to a maximum of 500 words.
- Be careful not to mention specific drug names.
- Be succinct in your descriptions, graphic details are not necessary.
- Be focused on the content of the blog post itself.
If you are interested in addiction recovery support, we encourage you to visit the SMART Recovery website.
If you or someone you love is in great distress and considering self-harm, please call 911 for immediate help, or reach out to The National Suicide Prevention Hotline @ 800-273-8255, https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/
We look forward to you joining the conversation!
*SMART Recovery reserves the right to not publish comments we consider outside our guidelines.*