The Joseph Gerstein Award selection committee is calling for nominations for the 2019 Joseph Gerstein Award. If you know someone who has shown extraordinary and exemplary service to the SMART program, please submit your nomination using this link. Deadline for nominations is August 1, 2019.
Nominees for the Joseph Gerstein Award will have remarkable attributes such as:
- Having provided long and continued service to SMART Recovery
- Significant contributions of time and/or funds
- Adding significantly to the science and evidence base foundation that supports SMART’s concepts and tools
- Championing significant new initiatives
- Working energetically and creatively to support SMART’s activities, etc.
Please note: Current members of SMART Recovery’s Board of Directors are not eligible.
The award will be presented at the SMART National Conference held September 20–22 in Itasca, Illinois. Look for a feature in the October issue of News & Views.
About the Award:
This very special award was first announced and awarded at the 2012 SMART Conference. The first presentation of the award gave tribute and recognition to an individual who has continuously given extraordinary and exemplary service toward the growth and dissemination of the SMART program since its inception 25 years ago. The name of the award was that of the person who filled those criteria in every manner imaginable, SMART’s founding president, Joe Gerstein. Over the past 25 years, Joe has worked tirelessly to further the growth and goals of SMART in both the U.S. and internationally. His work and dedication should serve as inspiration for others who work to further the SMART Recovery mission.
Past award recipients include:
- 2018-Shari Allwood
- 2017-Don Sheeley
- 2016-John Boren
- 2015-Dick Bozian (Bozo)
- 2014-Sherry Mason (YesterdayWas)
- 2013-Dolores Cloward (Dee)